Monday, March 10, 2014

Ephesians 1:7

Ephesians 1:7
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.


Lent is such a great time in the liturgical year.  It reminds us of that ever uncomfortable sacrament of confession.  You know, it's that sacrament that you have to choose to do, on your own time, on a weekend day, during which you could be doing something far less awkward, humbling and embarrassing.  It's the one sacrament that reminds us of how imperfect we are and how much we need His grace in our lives in order to reach a life eternal.  It's the one sacrament that is easiest to sweep under the rug and say we will make time for next weekend.


Confession is also the one sacrament that allows us to fully let Jesus into our hearts, ask His forgiveness and receive it.  It brings us back to the truth that we are all flawed and He knows that, and He still loves us and wants us to be with Him when this life is over.  Every time I leave confession, I feel lighter, more optimistic and ready to be a more perfect version of myself that God wants me to be.  I also look at others in my life with less judgment and more understanding, having just acknowledged all of my own short comings.


I once became frustrated that I felt I was having difficulties with the same things and needing to confess the same things over and over.  I asked a priest if this meant that I wasn't really changing and he told me that God understands when we come and confess that we have true remorse and a desire to change.  He also knows that change doesn't happen overnight, it takes time.  And as long as I was truly trying to better myself and avoid these same pit falls, God would be willing to forgive me when I slipped up.


I often wish that non-Catholics understood the sacrament of confession better.  I feel angry and frustrated every time I hear someone say how ridiculous the act of confession is.  "Well, I can just do whatever I want, confess, be forgiven, and then go right back to doing the same thing all over again.  What a joke!"  Uuuuggghhhh!  I want to explain to everyone what it truly means to confess your sins, how intent and true remorse play into a confession and being absolved.  I do my best to give a polite explanation that doesn't go "too deep", but I know that these people often aren't interested in what this sacrament really means.  It's too bad though.  What a beautiful world this would be if we would all humbly bring ourselves to God and acknowledge our imperfectness and beg for His forgiveness....


Thanks for reading!


Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment