Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Acts 20:24

Acts 20:24
But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.

It is only be the grace of God that we make it through this life.  I feel very sorry for people who don't believe.  During mass when father asks that we pray for people who have fallen asleep in the faith while waiting for the coming of our Lord, I truly feel a sadness and sincere prayer for those people.  I know that our society doesn't value faith because it is based on belief, not science.  I feel that Catholicism, especially, takes a constant beating from the media.  I think that faith used to be viewed as an essential aspect of life and something of value to be instilled in our children.  Sunday mass was a ritual, an expected event to be attended my most families in any given neighborhood.  The values found in the faith were near and dear to the values we wanted to display in ourselves and instill in our children.

Now it is much more about the things we have, the places we go, the capital we bring home.  I am blessed though because I have a husband who is not an egotist.  He is good at what he does, I would say he is the best but I may be biased.  My husband knows how good he is at his job and what he does, just as I know that I am good at what I do and what my job is, but we are both quick to give the glory to God.  We understand that our success is really meaningless, that our success is His success being shown through us and our actions.  We realize that it is only by the grace of God that we are able to survive each day with our heads above water financially, emotionally and physically.  We know that without Him, there would be no "us", there would be no extension of life, and there would be no security.

As we face this difficult time, we have to draw on our previous experiences because I feel like we are being tested.  Did we learn anything from the past?  Is our faith really as strong as we claim it to be?  The answer is "yes".  The only reason I have been blessed enough to be able to stay at home for the past six years is because God blessed me with a husband who is willing to do whatever he needs to do to take care of and provide for us.  I also realize that the only reason he is able to do this is because of the gifts He has given my husband and the doors that He has opened for him.  He has taken care of us.  He has always made sure that we were ok and even though it is hard to understand how we will be ok now, or how things will be resolved, I have a renewed sense in my faith that they will be.

As a snotty, doubting teenager I used to challenge my CCD teacher to "prove it".  Whatever the "it" was.  And the truth is my teacher could have said whatever he wanted but I still would not have believed because lets face it, that's what the faith really is, believing.  The proof is in everyday life.  The proof is in the child growing in a mother's womb.  The proof is in the generosity of strangers.  The proof is in the love between a husband and wife.  The proof is in the air around us if we can get our heads out of all the materialism we surround ourselves with and get down to what is truly important in life.  Where we are right now is humbling and it only reinforces what I already believed.  We take nothing with us when we die other than the love we have given and received.

Thank you God for allowing your grace to work in our lives.  Help us to always be open to accepting Your grace, even if it doesn't make sense to us at the time.  You never do anything that doesn't make sense, even if it doesn't make sense to us.

Thanks for reading!

Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment