Friday, September 20, 2013

Romans 12:2

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

We all have to conform to society in some way.  It's kinda like that saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."  Conforming to some of the superficial aspects of your surroundings is not only ok, it is in some ways, necessary.  But do not be confused, conforming yourself should only occur on a superficial level. 

I love how the scripture says to be "transformed" because that is what God does for us!  He transforms us into people who are "good and acceptable and perfect."  God really gives us the tools to be transformed and by reflecting on His words, learning about the faith He gave to us, and participating in the miracle of the mass, we open ourselves up to His will.  Each day is an opportunity to grow into the perfect being that He calls us to be.

It seems that in the scripture there is a constant theme of not becoming what everyone else thinks we should be but continuing to grow into what God implores us to be.  It is easier to look around at others and see how they need to change and grow and pass judgment on them but much harder to look within ourselves and identify what we need to change.  We can spend all our time worrying about those around us and why aren't they following His laws and commandments, but what a waste of time!  We cannot, nor does God want us, to change anyone but ourselves.  And in this scripture even He is saying that by changing ourselves we are showing that His will is perfect and good and acceptable!  Only by changing ourselves will we be able to have any influence on those around us.

We are not responsible for anyone getting to heaven other than ourselves, and when it is our turn for judgment, we will only be judged on our own actions or inactions.  So why be so consumed with what other people are choosing?  Why be so concerned with how other people are living their lives.  I have never understood why people want to judge the way I raise my kids when I don't judge how others raise theirs.  I have always said, even when giving advice, "This is what I do, this is what works for me..."  And maybe what works for me will work for someone else too, or maybe they will tweek it and make it something that works better for them.  I don't really care either way because I can't worry myself with how other people do things.  In actuality, it just doesn't affect me.  We can and should be open to spreading God's message but also understand that not everyone will be in a place of accepting it. 

I used to ask my dad if he was upset after watching his favorite sports teams lose and his answer was always the same, "No, it doesn't change my life on Monday."  It is so true and puts things into perspective for me.  Why worry about the things that are so superficial and really aren't life altering?  I will instead do my best to worry about the things that are able to transform me.  Listening and being open to His will is the best place to start.

Thanks for reading!

Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment