Sunday, August 4, 2013

1 John 4:1

1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

This is so true of the world today!  Just looking around you can see people who claim to be something they are not.  But instead of projecting this reading onto everyone else around me, I want to focus it on myself.  I have to do my best each day that I am representing myself in my truest form.  There are a lot of people who are "do as I say, not as I do" kind of people.  I STRIVE to not be that person, especially with my children.  If I say, "Be patient with your sibling." but then have little patience for my children, I am being a false "prophet".  Children do as they see and as a parent it is hard to always be in role model form and there are undoubtedly times when we will fail, but it is our job, our duty, our responsibility to constantly strive to be the most honest role model we can be.

We need to be teaching our children as well to look for those good role models or "prophets".  Children like to believe what they see and we need to teach them to truly consider who they allow into the depths of their lives because not everyone will be a positive spirit.  As much as I want to tell my children that all people are good, and all people have good intentions, that is just not always the case.  Although it is not our place to judge others, it is our choice to involve ourselves with others.  The only way for me to remain a "spirit of God" is to be selective about who I choose to associate with.  I am not concerned with things that are superficial, i.e. skin color, education level, ideological beliefs, socioeconomic status, etc.  I am concerned with the core of people.  I want to be around people who are loving, well intentioned, charitable, patient, and virtuous.

We are who we involve ourselves with.  So in order for me to be an honest disciple of God, rather than a "false prophet", I need to live the word of God, not just read it, not just believe it.  It is an everyday challenge as we are tested at every turn.  With truth in my heart and God as my guide, I believe I can be successful.

How does this scripture speak to you today?

Busy Mommy Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment